11 March 2005

Lunchtime Musings: Philip Greenspun

Fellow LGI inmate Lance knocked my socks off with an idea he had. It's all very hush hush. During the course of socks off blowery, I was reminded of Philip and Alex's Guide to Web Publishing. It's been a while since I've read it, and many of the technical details may well have changed, but the ideas are must contemplate for anyone who's interested in building sites that cultivate on line communities. Looks like he's got some new stuff out as well: Software Engineering for Internet Applications. Haven't had a chance to review it yet, but it's sure to be thought provoking.

One of my favorite laws is attributed to Mr Greenspun:

Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden slow implementation of half of Common Lisp.

So true, so true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spot on! Nice reading recommendation. As I approach 95 percent complete with my little project, the publication sounded all too familiar. These guys must have taken notes while working a project from start to end. I did not catch any quotables, but feel I have a bit of insight to the future.
Fellow LGI inmate - Lance

g said...

I'm glad you found it useful! I find Mr Greenspun easy to recommend to people who are serious about what they're doing.