10 June 2005

In music, I'm decades back.

Continually.

When I was a kid, I was into Pete Seeger, kids of fellow kiddomship were rocking out to Peter prompted. People used to rock out to Frampton. Do you feel... Me: David "I'm a hermaphrodite alien mullet sportier! (check the pictures, Iman, it's true)" Bowie. You: Def "Look Ma! Two arms!" Lepard (Is that how it's spelled?). Me: Gang of Four. You: Christina Augararaia (Is that how it's spelled?).

In movies, I'm decades back.

Confession: I started out with a premise, but science blew it away. I figured that I was always trailing a certain number of decades back that slid in a fixed window through time with me, but it's not true. But can't stop now.

Celine and I just caught a couple of blockbusters: The French Connection and The Godfather II.

Yup. Right on top of things, culturally speaking.

I liked The French Connection, although I would have done the opening title stuff differently in any era. If that's all I'm bitching about, it must be a pretty good movie, right? Right. It was. It's on my see again list putting it for a subsequent viewing in 2032.

The Godfather II was great. A sequel that could stand alone, and whoop many comers.

Except its old man.

I understand there are a couple of competing camps. Although de Niro is a primal force of acting ass booterie, and, although I thought that Brando and Pacino underachieved in TGF, TGF edges out its progeny, IMHO. The reasons why are ENG101 (JJJ, pinhut feel free to straighten me out with your erutditeness): the development of Michael Corleone. TGF: "fuck this mafia stuff" -> "family in trouble" -> "off with his head". TGFII: "I'll kill you (or fuck you up in the trying)" -> "I'll kill you (or fuck you up in the trying)" -> "I killed you". de Niro was good, but, having seen TGF you knew he was going to blimp up into Brando. When the don killed his mama, you knew that was his ass... and it was.

Even the pivotal scenes didn't match up. de Niro taking out the fat man in the white suit? Gun shot to the mouth was a nice touch. Didn't match the revenge scene in The Princess Bride, much less the story leading up to and including the climax at the restaurant in TGF.

Yeah...

TGF by three lengths.

Love and schmoooches!

1 comment:

g said...

Never bought a calendar? That's tough. I hope you dont mind if I write a book the main character of which "prefers not to make plans of any sort". That is righteous!