08 April 2006

CVS Under SVN

We're having inclement weather here in Atlanta, and I suspect it might have something with me not having access our CVS repository. Not good, as I have a sluagh of hacks that I need to get done by Monday just to get back to being remotely on schedule.

Nuts.

There are two types representing bands in a spectrum: thems that use tools and thems that don't. I know some people who treat version control (SCM) as some necessary evil. They'll hack hack hack for days, get everything just the way they want it, then do a big shotgun commit. They'd rather give up their right nut than invest the time in learning how to make whatever source control they're using work for them. And by "invest the time", I mean something as simple (and abhorrent) downloading some free GUI front end and fiddle till it works. The other end of the spectrum are folks who'd damn near be paralyzed without some sort of SCM. They'll often make many small changes, test the change to make sure it does what it's supposed to do and doesn't break anything and commit that change, and *only* change, and recurse.

Hrrmm... wonder which end of the spectrum *I'm* on.

So I *know* that I've got a lot of hacking to do, and I've got to have some sort of SCM in place. So in Emacs shell:

svnadmin create svn
svn import my_cvs_sandbox \
file:///path/to/svn/cvs_prj_name/trunk \
-m "why trunk? i might *branch* beeatches!"
svn co file:///path/to/svn/cvs_prj_name/trunk svn_sandbox

M-x to Emacs mini-buffer*:

svn[return]


Let's hack!


* svn-status is autoloaded in my .emacs file, so until I load up the svn package, svn-status is the only symbol that starts with svn, so Emacs knows what I want.

2 comments:

rotatef said...

Have you tried the distributed version control tools? I went from cvs to svn to darcs.

g said...

I've read a little about darcs, but haven't used it. The distributed model is interesting, but wouldn't appeal to the bossman who prefers a tightly-controlled centralized repository. Besides the distributed storage model, are there other features about darcs that you find compelling beyond those in svn?