07 April 2005

Rules Rules Rules

Thems that know me might be surprised that I've started insinuating coding standards where I work. Rules are that last thing that many might associate with me, but I'm all about rules. So, what up with the coding standards, Playa?

Without rules, you meander a desultory walk and only the most exceptional have the discipline to indulge in a little introspection. With rules, at least there's a path; if your just pulling lint out of your navel, you don't unduly provoke people who are trying to get stuff done. If you're lucky, you'll start to think about why those rules are there. If you're really lucky, you'll start to break the rules for good reason. When you're breaking the rules with an understanding of what you're doing, you're either an artist or a sociopath. It's almost a passable definition of either.

I remember when Willem de Kooning died hearing a clip of him saying something like there comes a time for studying to pass, and you just have to go into the studio an make something happen. If you know the quote, please let me know. It's spirit has stuck with me and gnaws on me relentlessly to this day.
Willem de Kooning

No comments: