22 April 2019

S8E2: A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms

Season 8's second episode A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms is behind us and while it was somewhat satisfying, the lack of carnage and mayhem was certainly surprising. Although the remaining episodes will each clock in at 80 minutes and more, there are only four left leaving only the time you'd have for 5 1/3 normal episodes, and there is a lot to get sorted out if there is going to be a satisfying conclusion to the story.

Arya and Gendry bau chicka bau bau

Some folks were surprised by the Arya-Gendry hook-up. I was not (after the eye making in the last episode, it was inevitable), and although it was as tastefully done as you can do something like that, I'm wondering what it all means. As an aside, I will admit it was a little awkward watching Arya getting (modestly) naked since I've always had a "that's my little girl" kind of affection for the character, even as she became a sadistic ninja death assassin, which you don't generally hope is your little girl's career choice. I will likely throw the TV out the window if the only "point" was to get Arya laid before she dies. No, that doesn't make any sense, but then Bronn and Jaime running a mile underwater in armor didn't make any sense either. I'm still trying to read the emotion in her expression as she's lying in bed with Gendry. Maybe it's just as simple as being afraid.

Arya, The Hound, and Beric Dondarrion

This was an interesting little scene, which I think amounts to Arya just letting them know she's taken them off her list. She casually takes a snort of The Hound's hooch without wincing, which further let's us know our little girl has grown up. Her disgust with their moroseness was a little harsh and a missed opportunity I think — the Arya/Hound dynamic was some of the very best in the whole show, and it would be nice to see a little more of that old magic again.

Sam, again with the books

Despite how much I want it (and I really want it (stamps feet)), I don't actually think that Sam is going to uncork some wizardly pyromantic awesomeness. But, he did mention the damn books again. I don't know any of the Game of Thrones folks personally, but if they wanted to drive me batshit insane, dangling a fully operational fire wizard in front of me then dropping the Nelson Ha! Ha! as they wizard-block me would be a really effective way to do it.

Sam gives Heartsbane to Jorah Mormont

Whether in the slave pits, or taking out a Dothraki screamer, Jorah Mormont has demonstrated many times that he's a thoroughly competent ass wrecker. He didn't go through all that Greyscale treatment just to die in a "well, there goes Jorah" scene. He's loaded with a Valyrian steel sword. I don't think he gets taken out by the Army of the Dead, but his end will be somewhere by Daenerys's side.

Jorah tells Daenerys to stick with Tyrion

One of the hallmarks of Game of Thrones is people giving other people absolutely shit advice, however well-meaning. Will this turn out to be shit advice? I don't think so — I think Tyrion is poised for a comeback. It may not save Daenerys, though.

Sansa goes to Arya's tailor

Sansa is looking very badass in her leather death ninja getup. You get the feeling that Sansa probably would whip Daenerys mano y mano. She's getting her regal on. If you told me midway through Season 1 that I'd be rooting for Sansa in the end, I would have laughed out loud.

Sansa and Theon

Sansa was a little more affectionate with Theon than I would have expected. Maybe it's some sort of bonding over their shared brutalization at the hands of Ramsay Bolton. A little is certainly OK, but in no way in seven hells can they put Theon and Sansa together as some sort of romantic interest. OMG, I just can't. Really, I just can't. I hate that I could even contemplate this.

Jaime knights Brienne

Alas. Awesome, touching scene, although the fricking stupid-but-funny bit with Tormund not able to chug his beer without spilling it all over himself tainted it a little for me. Suspension of disbelief issues: Tormund fricking knows how to chug his ale/mead/beer whateves. I would imagine the Freefolk would fight — or issue vicious taunts — over wasting so much brew via inept chuggery. Anyway, the knighting ceremony sets up, methinks, the big, weepy Brienne dying in Jaime's arms scene as Tormund looks on compassionately. However, if Brienne makes it out alive against the Army of the Dead, the roles could be reversed where Brienne holds Jaime as he dies, perhaps killed by The Mountain after he takes out Cersei.

No comments: